Thursday 5 April 2018

Taking Stock, Mint, Figs, Apples and other Autumn Delights


It is a glorious day!  You know the balmy, gentle breezes, not too hot, I love Autumn, it’s a time to take stock, and decide how to move forward.  For me, I need to work on some order!  Since I have retired my days are very open ended which is good but…. I find myself procrastinating over every activity! Shall I wash the kitchen floor or go out and do my shopping or do some crafting?  I spend so much time having a cuppa trying to decide what I want to do often nothing is done!  I am not going to beat myself up about it as I suspect after the year I have had it was necessary for me to wind down completely.  But now I feel the need for order and a plan of action.  I SHALL MAKE LISTS!  I used to laugh at my husband with all his lists with its bullet points and dashes and crossing outs.  I used to be able to keep what I needed to do in my head, but age has caught up, my mind wanders off in different tangents. Or, I forget completely.  I shall have to learn to keep the lists close by, the number of times I have made a shopping list only to leave it at home.  

I have been experimenting with lists, and I find a great joy in crossing off activities, what I still must learn is not to put down an impossible number of activities as it is disheartening to only cross off 3 when there are 15 items! LOL.  I think I need several different lists for the week and a list for daily activities. Also, I have decided to do what a dear blogger Bless does and posts her to do lists on her blog.  That means blogging daily or every other day, which is something I want to do.  I love writing and blogging but sometimes the procrastinating genie hits me there too!  Shall I blog about this or that, I have so many interests.  So, I think I will have a set day for different facets of my life, not rigid but general.

Monday – Homecrafts (the art of keeping a home)
Tuesday – General or whatever takes my fancy.
Wednesday - Garden
Thursday – Diet and recipes
Friday - Art
Saturday – Crafts
Sunday - goals for the week etc

This can e a moveable feast we will see how it pans out.



my list for today
Chop the mint back by the shed and fig tree
Mow the front lawn
Pick some Apples
Pick the ripe figs before the birds find them - Done
Wash the windows in the front
make a stew for the weekend - Done
Knit some of my sock - Done
Phone my sister in Australia this afternoon Done
Find a recipe (mint sauce) or what to do with all the mint I chop down (its needs chopping down as it is rampant, but I am loath to chuck it out.

That’s enough!  I could have kept on and as it is I think I have too many already.  Next on the list is the windows, after I had my lunch.

As it is Friday, art day, I am showing you a journal page I did last autumn. Funnily enough I called her Autumn Girl. Perhaps it should be Autumn delights



Wish me luck, I am off to have my lunch – salad and lasagne.

Then I shall carry on with the list.

See you tomorrow.

Sharon

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Sharon. I think a period of time in which to decompress is needed, but, after that, a little structure to the day will be a good thing, too. That is what I am hoping to do when I retire. Otherwise, I will stay up all night, then, sleep all day and wake up feeling like I wasted the day! There will definitely be lists! LOL!

    Would you believe that I managed to kill my bed of mint? I think I will buy a new mint plant and see if I can get it to grow!

    Hope you were able to accomplish what you had listed for today. Don't overdo things, though. Have a wonderful day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I read that retirees need at least a year to adjust.
      If you lived in my part of the world I could have given you loads of mint it is trying to take over here - the new triffid! I suspect that it is your drought that killed it. My sister lives in Perth Australia and its very dry there she keeps it in a tub near the outside tap and splashes it with water when she goes by because you can never give mint enough water!

      Delete
    2. Sharon, that's an excellent tip about the mint! I will buy some and plant in a planter near my tap! Thank you!

      Delete