Thursday 26 March 2020

Day 1

Another attempt to resurrect my blog!  New Zealand has gone into lockdown for 4 weeks initially due to the grow of cases of covid19. I have been wanting to start blogging again as I find that Instagram  doesn't quite cut it with me. So, I decided that the lockdown and self isolation would be a great chance to create the habit of blogging.  My intention is to post daily for the duration.

The first thing I noticed is the quiet, no cars! I live in a quiet street but we have a bit of traffic as many use our small street as a shortcut.  It was strange to see cars parked in the driveways on a weekday.Watching the news it seems that NZers on the whole are following the rules, but then its only day 1. I am not sure what will happen when people start to get stir-crazy, as I am a solitary sort of person I think I will be okay, but 4 weeks?  

As I have severe asthma I have been advised that I have to self isolate and so even trips to the supermarket are out.  But I am okay as when it started to get bad in Italy I decided that it would eventually hit NZ and I gradually built up my supplies every week, so I have enough supplies for 6 weeks.  I will be a low on the fresh food, but as I have 2 apples trees, a fig tree and the grape vine producing fruit at the moment and feijoas will be ready soon.  as for veges I have silverbeet (chard), kale, the last of the tomatoes, pumpkins and butternut squash, beetroot, cabbage and celery.  So I will be good.


Today I did household chores - laundry, cleaned the oven and went through one of my food cupboards and threw out out of date food.  I am ashamed to say I had some dried fruit with a best before date of 2017!  I guess I don't eat a lot of dried fruit,lol. For lunch (which is my main meal) I had crumbed fish (hoki) potato and peas with tin peaches for desert.  In the afternoon I made some scones and treated myself to one with strawberry jam and cream. I finished reading a book on my kindle - Book 3 of  The Survivor Chronicles by Erica Stevens. There is the final book, but I am not sure that I want to read it in this present scary world. A bit too close to home! I quite like the Cozy mysteries books as pure escapism, I have several on my kindle that I haven't read yet. They will do when I want to escape the news.

For supper I had a sachet of Thai chicken soup with some bread and a nectarine, then I sat in front of the TV and a couple of programmes. That is more or less it, the first day of lockdowm done and dusted.


 
I couldn't find Lucy but eventually discovered her hiding in my stash behind the sofa!

2 comments:

  1. So nice to see you blogging, again. Love the picture of Lucy hiding under all the yarn! She looks very comfy and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does doesnt she, she has always like to snuggle amongst yarn!

    ReplyDelete